Effect of light on roots

peterls(N Yorks, UK)October 26, 2009

I have been growing some cuttings of Salvias and other plants. The only way of knowing if there is enough root growth, to pot them up, is to turn the pot of cuttings upside down, remove the pot, and inspect.

If there is good root growth - there is no problem. But if there in no root growth, you want to put the cuttings back in their pot. But you can't. Without the roots the compost has crumbled away and fallen to pieces. So I have put some of my cuttings into transparent pots (just disposable picnic tumblers - with a few drain holes), so that you can see the root growth.

But is light detremental to root growth? On Googling, there are people who say it is, but without an explanation as to why. But at the same time cuttings grown in water have their roots fully exposed to light and don't seem to suffer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

Should be fine if you can see the roots. Once you pot them in a potting soil you will need to keep them in the same location so they can root into the new soil.Sorry about the late reply.
Art

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peterls(N Yorks, UK)

Thanks for coming back hybridsage. I am now convinced that there is no problem with a bit of light getting at the roots of cuttings.

There are many people on the internet saying there could be a problem. But when you consider that you can grow roots on cuttings in a glass of water, and that special clear gel is sold for rooting cuttings, there can't be a serious problem

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
CA Sages in Bloom
There's a canyon I jog through that is full of sages....
anygreen
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
Sponsored Products
Orange & Gray Head Lamp
$16.99 | zulily
Zaneen | Disco Ceiling Lights
$454.40 | YLighting
Kichler Everly Transitional Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Pro-Optic Clear Alzak Recessed Open
$51.12 | Home Depot
Tortoise Shell Urn Table Lamp
$99.95 | Lamps Plus