Salvia - Nymph Coral

barb_roselover_inSeptember 8, 2007

I have a salvia in my containers that I just love. It is called Nymph Coral. First of all, is it hybrid so that it would not look the same from gathering the seed, and secondly, how do I get the seed? Has anyone collected seed from this plant? Thanks so much. - Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dem_pa

This is a photo of mine from last year. After the coral and white part of the flower falls off you will have a green "cup-like" bottom left. When the green part turns brown pick it off. You should have brown/black seeds in it. They almost look like mouse "dirt".

Hope this helps.

dem_pa

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 9:55PM
poisondartfrog

To simplify saving seeds from Coral Nymph as well as most of the Salvias I have, I cut off the flower spike when it is about 3/4 to fully brown, place the cut stems upside down in a paper bag and leave them a couple of days. When I am ready to package the seeds, I give the bag a few shakes, remove the flower stems, and most of the seeds will be in the bottom of the bag.
Most of the offspring will probably be Coral Nymph, but you may get a few that are "off." Out of about 30 Coral Nymph plants from saved seeds I got on GW this spring, all looked like Coral Nymph but 3, which were red.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:16AM
tracey_nj6(6)

Someone had sent me Coral Nymph, which I had wintersown, and they did indeed come true, and looked identical to the ones I had purchased.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 4:22PM
barb_roselover_in

Thanks so much for the answers. How informative!!.I appreciate your replies and especially noted the one about winter sowing (which I do). We had a bad spring here, so I will not take that chance with next year's plants. Barb

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 10:19AM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

Mine were wintersown, and worked great. Still blooming like crazy.

Karen

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™