Salvia subrotunda observation!

hummersteveOctober 19, 2011

Early this year I gave my sister 4 subrotunda plants and you should see them they are a big wow and I mean big. Mine never look this good. Mine get full sun most of the day. Hers are in a molded concrete form maybe 3-4" deep if that on the east side and they mainly get only filtered sunlight since her neighbor has some tall trees. Im guessing she only gets full sun for a couple of hours at best. I can get photos of these for anyone interested if the cold doesnt get them first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

Definitely a shade-loving Salvia. In direct sun, flowers fall off after mid-day. Just like S. amarissima.

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 7:09PM
hummersteve

Robin

Im aware of that now always thought it liked more sun. Theres not much shade around here unless I put them on the north side which is mostly shade but not good for viewing at all. I also noticed the same effect on lady in red at my sisters filtered light location .

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 6:53PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

This was my first year growing subrotunda. The blooms did not last long in summer because they got a lot of hot, midday sun. Late summer into fall, however, with more shade, weaker sun, and cooler temps, the blooming was excellent throughout the day. I grew the two plants in the only open spot I had, so that's where they'll have to be again next year.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:04AM
hummersteve

Im thinking the blooms only last a day so regardless. If I grow this plant next year it will be in shade or on the back side of home. Maybe the same for any s. coccinea plants.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™