Columbine Seedlings

ramiri(7)September 2, 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with 2nd generation seeds. I guess that's what they would be called, I'm not really sure. I've been refering to them as my Grand-flowers. :)

I collected seeds from Columbine I already had in my garden and I sowed them a few weeks ago and they are already sprouting pretty good.

Anyway, I just wonder if they'll flower well next spring. I am also curious if they'll end up a different color, or better yet, White.

I have Texas Gold and Blazing Star Columbine.

I was also curious to find out if it would be a good idea to plant them in the ground this year before it gets cold, or to keep them in pots and indoors until the spring.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Plant them as soon as the weather is moderate so they have a chance to take hold before winter sets in. High heat temps are not a good time to try and plant since it adds an extra stress to the plant, but one it is in the 70's and there's rain in the forecast, it is a good time to plant. Don't leave them inside all winter!
They might bloom on the spring. They might be the same or they might be different. Columbines are known to be promiscuous and have varied seedlings. Though the Texas Gold is a type of species so the seedlings of those might all be the same.
Hope that helps,
Remy

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 7:03PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I'd like to dig up some columbines seedings to take to a plant swap and I know they are tender perennials and afraid they won't make it. Is it too late to dig them up and pot them up now when the plant swap is only a week away?

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 9:31PM
jessewo(5 PA)

I save seed every year from my plants-a combination of purchased & traded seeds, so I don't know exact variety names. I wintersow them & have had good results. I plant them in a woodland garden I have at a spot I can only tend on weekends (at best!) and they have thrived with less-than-constant attention.

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 10:55PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just one point pippi21 - I don't think anyone would class columbines as tender. As to whether you can pot them up now in your zone I can't tell not knowing your climate. But I would warn that they are fairly tenacious rooters and need digging up with a good root ball. They are hard to pull out when weeding. They tend to break off.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 4:34AM
wally_1936(8b)

Thanks for your pots I miss their blooms this far south. I was trying to raise my first columbines when we moved to Texas and they are so beautiful.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™