still some "goo" on Tomato seeds after fermentation

mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)September 15, 2013

Hello! This is my first time saving heirloom tomato seeds. I fermented seeds this past week and today rinsed them off, discarding the floaters and debris. Drained the rest, pressed between coffee filters to create a single layer, and left filters exposed to dry. I see there is still a gel like quality covering the seeds. Is that normal, or is that a sign they did not ferment long enough? Have a few other varieties that are still fermenting so I thought I would ask. Our library started a "seed library" this year and I want to give back good seeds. :) Rachel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

I am not sure if the remaining goo would be a problem, but if you want to be sure you are donating good seeds, try a germination test on 10 or 20 seeds. Some people do germination tests by layering the seeds in a moist paper towel inside a plastic baggie. I do mine in a flat tupperware by laying a couple paper towels on the bottom of the container, then spreading out the seeds, mist them to keep moist, and lightly cover. Tomato seeds will sprout within a week or so if kept moist in a warm dry spot.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 1:50AM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

Thanks Terrene - the seeds look like ones "from a package" now. I will let them dry a couple of weeks and then do the germination test to see how they are before I donate them back to the seed library. Great idea - thanks!

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:30AM
janetjanetbobanet(Woodland Park CO 4B/5A)

I have had a little stubborn goo left on some of mine, too, but they seem to dry down OK on paper plates.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:19PM
RiverHendrix(4)

I've always noticed that if they look 'hairy' and furry, after dried, you've come away with very healthy seeds that are extremely viable.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™