tall phlox

aquawise(zone 4 Utah)September 1, 2009

I have an awesome white tall phlox plant and I want to save some seeds, What is the best way to do this? I understand that they are poppers as they explode the seeds from the pods. Does anyone out there have a good way of collecting these seeds? Please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

For seeds which "pop" a large paper bag is useful. Leave the top open so drying continues. Some garden stores sell large paper bags for leaf bags in the fall.

Caroline (Zone 3 Calgary)

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 2:07PM
aeiger(Z7bNC)

Wait until the phlox seed turns brown then scatter them where you want them. One year I collected seed and saved until spring to plant, not 1 germinated. Those seeds left to fall off the plant and freeze and thaw during the winter all came up. There appears to be a tough husk surrounding the seed. /Abi

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 12:54PM
rane_grow(7 soMD)

I collected several of my phlox seeds last week and put them on piece of paper on my dining room table ... a few days later I kept hearing snap crackle pop !! lo and behold the seed pods were exploding ! guess I should throw them back out in the garden in order for them to germinate next spring or can I wintersow them in january or february ?

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™