Heirloom Bean saving

prachi(6b (NJ))September 8, 2013

So I know its not completely right to do but my CSA has been having awesome heirloom beans (dragon tongue beans, a yellow variety and a dark purple one). Can I just pick the older beans dry them and save the seeds for next year. (I like to supplement my CSA with my garden veggies... b/c then I can get the things I like when I want them versus waiting for CSA to have enough to feed 200 shares before I get them.

ANy tips are appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

What's CSA? To get bean seeds, let the beans mature on the plants till the pods are brown and dry.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 8:26AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

What's CSA? To get bean seeds, let the beans mature on the plants till the pods are brown and dry.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 8:27AM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

To answer for the OP, CSA is the term for a subscription veggie system where the farm pre-sells shares of the produce and the consumer picks up a box of food every week for the season.

As far as the beans, I agree that they really need to mature on the plant before picking. If they are really far along, you may still be able to dry them and have good germination. Better yet, splurge the $3 and buy a pack of seeds, lots of companies sell dragons tongue.

-Mark

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 1:48PM
prachi(6b (NJ))

Thanks... yes CSA stands for community service agriculture. I buy a "share" before the season starts and he gives us a veggies each week.

So sometimes at the end he will let us do upicks for the beans otherwise of course I can just buy the seeds.

THanks

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Seed Savers Exchange is a huge group of gardeners and farmers from across the US who grow literally thousands of different heirloom varieties of every vegetable imaginable. The goal is to maintain diversity within the seed bank, as well as enable members to exchange seed with one another. You still have to buy the seeds from other members, but you get a discount if you are also offering seed to others. You can still buy seed from members if you are not able to offer anything back in trade.

Martha

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:45AM
jbraun_gw

You might want to try the seed saving forum here.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 2:54PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

2 month old post.......

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™