storing cosmos seeds, prep for planting

anninmaineSeptember 9, 2007

What are optimal conditions for storing cosmos seeds over the winter? Do I need to do anything to prepare them for planting? I have not been able to find a source for Cosmos Kibana, and am trying to keep my plants going. I have only been able to start one or 2 saved seeds in the last two springs, so I am doing something wrong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Ann,
You really shouldn't have any problems saving and storing cosmos seeds.I'm assuming you are waiting until they are completely mature before picking. So I'm a bit baffled. Cosmos seed just needs to be kept cool, dark, and dry so nothing out of the ordinary. They normally germinate quite well in the spring. I did have a bit of a WSing problem with them this year as in many sprouted and then there was a frost. Most of them died. All my other WSed sprouts lived, so they must be very temperature sensitive. So make sure there is no chance of frost when sowing or use containers outside and bring them in if a frost is coming then transplant them once it is warmer.
The only other thing I can think of is not all the seeds are fertile. Maybe you are not getting good insect pollination on them or it is just a varietal thing. If I were you I would save way more seeds than you actually need then over sow in the spring so you are ensuring some will sprout.
Remy

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 7:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

I'm finding that either soaking them before sowing (better), or keepting the soil pretty damp (which gives other problems later), helps germination a lot.

Seems like the seed coats on some cosmos are harder, and they'll start to sprout and get "stuck" and die. Pre-soaking might be the help those kinds need. I haven't read anything about this, but I had better results with this experimental soak. (1-2 hours or even try overnight)

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™