datura-frost worry

valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)September 20, 2013

Afraid of first frost. Got tons of ripe datura inoxia,but
yellow datura pods just starting to develop. Other than potting up and bringing indoors, anyone know how to get viable seed?
White daturas have only given me one ripened seed pod. Can one get viable seed from a green pod? I've read in another post that you can put a green pod in a brown paper bag to mature. Has anyone had success with that method?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I have been growing Datura for years and this is the first year that I have got any ripe seed pods - one pod from the white plant split a few days ago and provided some seeds. I think the brown paper bag method will work if the seed pod is ripe enough that it would soon split. Otherwise, the seeds inside would not be mature. Try opening a few, and if the seeds are turning brown, it may work. You will need to expose them to the air, otherwise, they will just rot. You can cut the plant back quite a bit, leave a few leaves and pods and bring it in. I do that with peppers and they ripen indoors. I know it's annoying, so many pods, but I have to buy seeds each year. Next year, you may try cutting off all the pods, save just a few. That way the plant will use all its energy to ripen just a few. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 2:39AM
valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)

Thanks for the advice. No frost in sight yet, 70's-50's, but will try brown bag method if the seed is not mature by frost.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:41PM
valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)

Thanks for the advice. No frost in sight yet, 70's-50's, but will try brown bag method if the seed is not mature by frost.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:42PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

My native datura has the spiky, round seed balls forming now; I just let the seeds drop where ever for next year's crop. The datura here has huge white, lily-like flowers in the evening, fragrant & the bees seem to know when they are in flower at night as the bees stay out at night to get into the huge flowers. I get some nice photos at night of the bees down in the throat of the huge white lilies! This datura though has drug-like symptoms when ingested I believe: 'sacred datura'.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™