Seed Viability of Different Garden Ornamentals

judy-hebeSeptember 7, 2006

I know that various seeds have different viability times from each other. I also know that conditions for germination can also vary. But I'd like to find a web site that will list the time seeds of various plants stay viable under the right storage conditions. I can find nothing specific - only generalities or those of plants like weeds or vegetables. Can someone point me to a good site or two, please?

I have a lot of seeds I've saved over the last few years & would like to share with friends & e-pals but sure don't want to send 'dead' seeds to them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Judy,
The site below has some flower seeds listed below the vegetable list. I find most flowers last at least a few years. Some will last a long time. The ones that lose viability quickly seem to be woodland type flowers. Many of them need to be sown immediately and kept moist.
If you still feel unsure about a particular seed, you could always do the paper towel germination test. I know it works, I've had sunflowers germinate that way. If you google that, you will get lots of hits.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Longevity Chart

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:judy-hebe

Thanks for the link, Remy. The link gave me a good rough idea of the viability which is all I expect since how long seeds stay good depends on diff conditions.

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™