Epilobium angustifolium (Fireweed)- how to

christinmk z5b eastern WASeptember 9, 2009

Hi! I have a bunch in my garden and was thinking about saving seed (from its second blooming) to trade. I see a tiny, VERY tiny, speck at the end of the 'tendril' that I presume is the seed. Yes? Should I clean off the long, fuzzy tendrils (the part used to carry the seed by wind)? Do I need to do this? The seed is so tiny that it seems impossible...

Thank you for any advice!

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

CMK,
I was hoping someone would of answered you by now. I haven't saved seeds of E. angustifolium. I have however let a plant grow up that was the epilobium weed with tiny flowers and then the seed pod opened with the tiny seed attached just as you are describing of its prettier counterpart. I ended up with babies all over the area come spring(thank goodness they were easy to pull!)so I would assume that being tiny is not a problem with your seed. The fuzzy part can be removed. It is as you said only used for wind distribution and does not affect germination.
Remy

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 9:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Thanks remy! I was thinking of sometime adding this to my trade list. The seed is so tiny I have to wonder if people would think I sent empty packets! If the fuzzy part does not affect the germination than I might as well leave it, or get a microscope to do it, lol!

They do reseed quite prolifically! But I don't mind, they are so pretty. And, like you said, are not hard to yank. Wish they transplanted better though.
Thanks Remy!
CMK

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™