Nighttime lights interfering with blooming

ladyslppr(z6 PA)October 5, 2006

I have planted several types of Salvias in planters in front of my office in Orange County, CA. The Salvia "Waverly" are blooming poorly, and it recently occurred to me that the lights that are on at night must be the problem. Previously I have tried to grow Salvia leucantha (one of the parents of Waverly) in a yard with bright nighttime lighting and found that portions of the plants in the light didn't bloom while shaded parts of the plants bloomed normally. Salvias currently planted with the Waverly include Salvia elegans, Salvia karwinskii x puberula, and one that I think is Salvia subrotunda (a fall bloomer I am guessing). I am concerned that these species won't bloom with the lights on them at night.

Does anyone know if there are certain types of bulbs that would be preferable to others - i.e. bulbs that would not interfere with the diurnal cycle in salvias?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If you are talking about the chromatic response of light bulbs, yhis is usually broken down into red-rich or blue-rich lamps. Both types are needed for optimal growth of plants, and both should be available. One of these will prompt green growth more, but I am not sure which one. The blue-rich ones will also likely have more ultraviolet as well.

However, if the light intensity is strong enough, chromaticity will be irrelivant. The species you mention are relatively insensitive to night lighting, so this likely means you will get best results with long day bloomers.

Amongst the most sensitive to aborting bloom from night lighting is Salvia divinorum, which can be spectacular when in full bloom. Salvia dorisiana is another light sensitive species.

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
California Native Sage Festival--March 28, 2015
At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, Ca....
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Sponsored Products
Harmony Tiffany 60W Inch Pool Table Light - 34-B60
$598.00 | Hayneedle
Eros Chandelier
Overstock.com
Livex Lighting Wall Mounted Providence Wall-Mount 4-Light Outdoor Imperial
Home Depot
Dominion Chest - GOLDEN BROWN
$3,799.00 | Horchow
Bruck | Pia I Pendant Light
$206.25 | YLighting