Winter Care

joshc(Z8-TX)December 10, 2003

Sorry for my lack of postings, I haven't been doing much with the plants besides shuffling around to keep 'em from freezing outside. Not much in the way of new acquisitions, save for a couple vines of this and that, no new Sans. My question is this; if protected from wind, and in good health, what min temps can some of the different trifasciata varieties tolerate? Are some more cold tolerant than others? I have limited room inside so I'm trying to prioritize which plants get moved inside first (don't worry, most of my sans are already inside ;-) and which , if any, might have to fend for themselves outside. On the plus side, I kind of anticipate a mild winter, but yesterday it got down into low 30's I think, and really gusty wind. Let me know what y'all think about cold tolerences, and what you are doing to protect your own plants for the winter!

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marguerite_gw

Gosh, Josh, I thought Texas was always hot - forgive my ignorance! I suppose the Sans would be all right as long as it doesn't get damp.

Bookmark   December 12, 2003 at 3:27PM
nanw_4wi(4/SW WI)

I think JonD spoke of doing some 'unintentional experiments' on this subject in the past. He'd stated that they can get quite cold (40's, if I recall?) as long as they're kept quite dry, as Marguerite stated. You might want to email Jon...I'm sure he'd be more than happy to offer some info.

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 1:15PM
jderosa(z6 NJ)

I'd be especially careful with any variegated varieties that you have, as they seem to be more temperaturesensitive, especially when damp.

Joe "killed 'em with the best" DeRosa

Bookmark   December 19, 2003 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Saw these beauties on eBay
While torturing myself on eBay yesterday, I came across...
kwie2011
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
Please help, sentimental little plant dying (maybe?)
I have a relentless black thumb and was given a snake...
clow936
Sponsored Products
Samara Ikat Pillow Sham
Grandin Road
Trumpeted Square Antique Silver 48-inch to 86-inch Curtain Rod
$54.95 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain ES82423 Cabrillo Decorative Fluorescent Flushmount in Warm Ma
$334.00 | Hayneedle
Blue Dachshund Shelf D├ęcor
$17.99 | zulily
Morning Dew Throw Pillow Case
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Medallion Traditional Black Rug (9'3 x 12'6)
Overstock.com
Lucite Tray with Golden Handles
$300.00 | Horchow
Oatmeal and Brindle Polyester Filled 22 x 22 Pillow
$79.80 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™