Sansevieria Flowers?

yardenman(z7 MD)December 20, 2009

I've been growing Sansevieria trifasciata (I think) for about 20 years. Suddenly, one seems to be sending out some flower stalks! Did I suddenly do something right about the light and water and fertilizer, or is it about to die like some cacti do when they flower?

I've never seen this happen before. In fact, it never occurred to me that sansevierias flowered.

[img]http://h1.ripway.com/cavebear/DSCF0004.JPG[/img]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardenman(z7 MD)

Well, I tried a half dozen ways to actively display the picture, and none of them worked. Sorry.

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 4:21PM
tf.-drone

Hi,

no, your plant is not about to die. The actual growths which flower will not grow any further, but send 'pups' which actually the normal way to grow for a Sans.

And, just add the link in the URL field, nothing more.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 6:18PM
norma_2006

The old growth will not add any leaves after it flowers, but off set and grows in that manner. You can finally remove the old growth trim it up put it into a fresh pot and soil it will turn into a teen-ager again, remove most of the outside leaves on the old growth. Wait until the pot fills up and do it again when needed. If you do this process about every three years or less. You can always have it grow up to a old age. Remember some species only have one leaf growth per plant and others 20 more or less, depending on the species. I also suggest you wait until Spring hits your area. Norma

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
Please ID my new Hahnii
I finally found a new Hahnii to bring home - I have...
lme5573
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™