Saving Zinnia Seeds

oboyzmomOctober 5, 2007

Hi All,

I'm wanting to save seed from my beautiful Benary Zinnia's this year and I know to wait until the blooms fade on the stem. BUT a gardening friend of mine said that I could also save seed from blooms that I have cut for use in displays in my house. I wondered if this was true and if so, how exactly do I do that?

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi oboyzmom - I would recommend against it for a couple of reasons.

First, since successful germination of healthy plants the following season is the goal, it helps to understand how a seed matures and why waiting for nature to take its course is important. Without getting too "botany complex" ;), the link below shows the difference between a mature, well pollenized seed and an immature seed. Note the difference in the embryo in the seeds.

Flowers that have been cut may or may not have been adequately pollenized but most definitely have been cut off from the nutrient supply needed to develop successful embryos.

Secondly, genetic characteristics. The seed from cut flowers, if not adequately pollinated before cutting will lack a full genetic code. If any germinates they are far more likely to be "throwbacks".

Try an experiment. Save some seed from your cut flowers (just let them dry well, stick the head in a sack and bash the heads a bit so the seed falls out) but keep it separate from that harvested in the normal manner. When you plant the seeds compare the germination rate and overall health of the seedlings.

I know it can be difficult to wait for those mature seeds some times but it is the best way to go. ;) Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimizing Seed Germination

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oboyzmom

Dave - thanks for the information - it was extremely helpful! I think I'll just go with what I know and do it the old fashioned, mother nature way!

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Sponsored Products
Popcorn & Pumpkin Vegetable Growing Tray Set
$11.99 | zulily
Hyannis Port Collection 21 1/2" High Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
Garden Girl Hand Trowel - TSP11
$15.99 | Hayneedle
4-Light Wall / Bath Chestnut Bronze
PLFixtures
Beacon Hill Wall Sconce
Lightology