When should I transfer a brand new snake plant??

amany(MI / 6)December 2, 2005

Hello. I'm so glad I found this forum.

I purchased a new snake plant about few days ago. It's got a 12" shoot and two 8" ones. There's also a baby spouting at the base of one of the leaves. It's in a four inch pot. I'd like to know if this should be transplanted to a larger pot right away, or should I wait until the spring? There are no roots coming through the drainage holes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Amany,

You may not need to at all (as long as it has a drainage hole as you mentioned). Many Snake plants (Sans.) like to be tight in their pots & they often look nicer that way. Many folks just leave them in the same pot for ages until they either have roots coming out the bottom or their roots literally break out the bottom of the pot.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, I'd wait 'til Spring when it speeds up in growth & then you can reconsider this if you like.

As an example, I just got a nice, short style Sans. for cheap off a plant sale table ($1 for a 4" pot, one overgrown rosette & three smaller ones).

I only repotted it to move it from plastic pot to clay (as I have been known to overwater the shorter style Sans & clay helps counteract that). Also the overgrown rostette is making it lopsided & by moving it into clay I was able to center it better in the pot & also given the added weight of the clay pot, it's less likely to topple over.

Hope this helps (HTH).

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 8:21PM
amany(MI / 6)

It helps a lot. Thanks. :-)

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 11:33PM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

San. hahnii only when it is very warm outside. I don't water mine from Sept 1 to April 1
and I live in a dry low humidity climate. Norma

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my snake plant?
I've been excited to have a snake plant for a while...
Galleriagirl11
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
Should I repot my snake plant ?
Hello, I've heard that snake plants like to be root...
HellKitchenGuy
PLEASE HELP!
Hello, I am new to plant ownership and have been aiming...
lawilson10
new sans
Along with the orchid cactus I picked up this little...
bkempress
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™