Freezes and seed collecting

ollieroseOctober 27, 2008

Well, they are calling for freezing weather this week here in Atlanta, GA.

I'm waiting on a TON of seeds to ripen, so I'll be curious to see what I have left viable after the cold weather.

Anyone else worried/curious about seed collecting as the weather gets colder and colder?

Diana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Diana,
I don't worry at all. : )
Many plants seeds will continue to ripen after freezing weather. Some tender plants though do not have frost proof capabilities and those developing seeds will be no good since the ripening process will be stopped in its tracks.
Also, collecting ripe seeds in the dead of winter is fine to do. You just have to make sure they are take out of plastic if you use plastic bags to collect outside once inside even if loose, because as the seed come to room temp, moisture can occur, and it needs to evaporate off the seeds.
Remy

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ollierose

Thanks Remy! I'll just keep an eye on them to see what looks as it should when ripe. I'll miss seeing these beauties every day and look forward to planning my gardens with more evergreen/winter plants for next year!

I store all my seeds on paper plates or paper towels for drying and transfer them to paper envelopes once they are dry.

I only put them in plastic when I know they are completely dry and ready to be mailed out. Otherwise they are mailed in paper envies.

I hope that many of my plants continue to produce viable seed so I can share with others on GW! They did change the forecast slightly so we are only looking at 34 for the low temp (fingers crossed!).

I've put all potted plants on my screen porch, but hope I ddn't make a mistake in not covering my patchouli plant. It's near the house and surrounded by some tall hardy herbs. It's just starting to form flower buds, stands 3 feet tall and is 2 feet in diameter.

Maybe the Atlanta climate - dry months in late spring and early summer, July rains and then dry fall - contributed to the delay in blooming?

:)
Diana

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Sponsored Products
Butter Bourbon Cake - N/A
$95.00 | Horchow
Birds in Motion Wall Clock
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Life is Grand Cachepot Set of 6
The City Farm
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Casa
Home Depot
Freeze Station
$39.99 | zulily