Pineapple sage invasive?

subk3November 15, 2012

I'm trying to figure out what to do with a pineapple sage plant (probably "Golden Delicious") that has died back with the first frosts we've had. It started out as a tiny little seedling in the spring and morphed into a monstrous 3' high 5' wide monster plant. It looks like some of the taller spikes fell to the ground and rooted new plants a couple feet from the mother plant. It took over half the garden, but was so spectacular I let it go.

If it was just happy in my well irrigated, well drained and horse manure fertilized garden that's one thing. If it's going to come back and I'm going to find it all over my little garden next spring like some mint scourge I need to be a lot more aggressive in my fall clean up!

So how hardy is it (I'm in zone 7a--usually a few nights a winter at 10� or less) and how invasive is it? If I rip it out will it still haunt me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardda

No it is isn't, especially in your zone. It is a crap shoot when it comes to survival in zone 7a. Last winter was no measure of survival since most of us had a very warm winter. It is best not to cut it back until you see new life in spring. I have never heard anyone say their Pineapple Sage was invasive. If it does return and the clump is too big for you just dig it up and divide it.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:41PM
robinmi_gw

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 5:22PM
robinmi_gw

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 5:23PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

My experience with pineapple sages is that the self-layered stems are the most likely to survive, and that applying some mulch for thermal insulation will increase survivability.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:49PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

I live in zone 7 as well. It is a "tender perennial".
Take cuttings and root them in the fall before first frost.

It "might" survive in your area if you cover it with a big tub. They do NOT like their roots damp in the bitter cold. They like, well-drained, gravelly and sandy soil best.

Not invasive.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Sponsored Products
Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper - Medium
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$65.00 | Home Depot
Accent Rug: Anet Spa 2' x 3'
$41.49 | Home Depot
Sunset Runner 2'3" x 8' - SAGE
$199.00 | Horchow
Crosby Sage Thermal Insulated 80-by-84 inch Tab Top Foamback Curtains
$61.95 | Bellacor