Which is larger, Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale?

meslgh(DFW 8a)November 7, 2013

I'm in search for a dark fuschia, dark magenta, or dark wine red Salvia greggii that is relatively compact (under 3' feet, maybe only 2", if possible). I'm gardening in Dallas, on black clay amended with expanded shale, and this will go in full sun. From what I've seen Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale should suit as far as the color I'd like (but feel free to offer other suggestions). As I look around the internet for how large these get, there are few direct comparisons, but most suggest that Dark Dancer is taller than Raspberry Royale, but the Fort Worth Botanic Garden says that Dark Dancer gets to 24" and Raspberry Royale gets to 29" for them. Which do you think is larger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Here in North Carolina, Dark Dancer gets over 3 feet against a wall at the JC Raulston Arboretum, and Raspberry Royale is arounf 30 inches in a raised bed at my old home.

The difference can be from the relative ages of the plants as well. I think height is basically a wash.

The main difference for me is that Raspberry Royale has smaller but more numerous flowers and is a bit more spreading.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Here is the Dark Dancer image.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™