Scraggly Mexican Sage

libraryladyNovember 9, 2008

I live about 3 miles from the beach. I recently bought a Mexican Sage (on sale) and planted it in a pot. It gets about 1/2 day of afternoon sun. It's starting to look very scraggly. Is this because it's not getting enough sun, or do these plants get scraggly after flowering? Does it need to be cut back? If I'm supposed to cut it back, how much do I cut off? It's about 3 to 4 feet tall and sparse. There is new growth at the base of the plant.

Would it look this way if it were getting too much water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

You are describing normal behavior this time of year. There should be ample new shoots at the base. If the old growth is still turgid and not losing too many leaves, let it stay until it has finished contributing to the plant's vitality.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 7:17PM
bunnypal

I have a nice patch of Salvia chamaedroides (Mexican Blue Sage) and have read that the plants should be pruned back to stimulate better growth. Many, but not all, of the spent flower tops will drop off eventually, but i am still unclear on how much should normally be pruned back and when. Old growth that no longer has leaves would normally get pruned out anyway. For other healthy growth should i just trim the tops, prune about midway down, or do a hard prune to ground level? And when should this be done, say in the fall, near midwinter, in the spring before new growth or another time. TIA.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 6:41PM
hybridsage

Librarylady:
I would say depends on which Mexican Sage you have.If
Mexican Bush Sage (S.leucantha) or if it is Mexican Sage S.mexicana or a few others.
Please narrow down my options.Then I can better answer your
question.
Thank You
Art

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™