pruning salvia patens?

duane456November 5, 2008

Can I prune salvia patens to the ground for the winter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Duane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I always let my salvias die from the cold, mulch heavily with fallen leaves, and leave the stems standing until spring. It is windy here, so I cover the three-foot layer of leaves with a piece of chicken wire to hold the leaves in place, and the stems help keep the leaves from compacting too much; I think more air space means better conditions for the salvias. Of course it is much colder here in PA than in much of western Oregon. Still, I would leave at least part of the stem standing all winter even in Oregon.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 5:08PM
wanda(Z9 CA)

Mine die all the way back in winter in CA/z9. When all the leaves have turned yellow/brown, I cut them to the ground.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 11:38AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Salvia patens likes it dry when it is in either summer or winter dormancy.

I am awaiting a plant or seed of the selection made by Cabrillo College, which was a 4 foot by 4 foot bush so heavy with flowers that there was a nearly continuous blue carpet underneath the bush.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 12:59PM
drusilla

The top growth of mine just seems to disappear - I am usually still collecting seed till nearly Christmas, then I shove the plants somewhere and forget about them till spring, and by then there's no top growth left! Rots and blows away, I suppose. I don't have to overwinter these under cover but if I am taking some in (to get an earlier start or if very cold weather is forecast) I cut them down beforehand.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™