Cape Fuchsia

redthreaddiy(6a MI)October 29, 2010

I have the seed pods. This is a perennial fuchsia so there aren't any berries as described in other fuchsia posts. I know the seeds are ripe because the stem is brown and dry, but when I crack open the pods, I don't know what the seed is. Are they microscopic or something? I can't figure out what I'm looking for. I searched google for half hour but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poisondartfrog

Cape Fuchsia's are Phygelius and are not related to actual Fuchsias.
They are shrubby members of the Scrophulariaceae family and are more closely related to Penstemons and Snapdragons. The seeds and seedpods are closer to those in appearance.
I don't have Phygelius capensis, which I believe is more commonly grown, but I have Phygelius aequalis and the seeds are small (about the size of a snapdragon seed, or a bit smaller) and brown. When the seed pods are completely ripe they should fall right out when you crush them.
I hope that's helpful.
Alana

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 10:58AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Although it is fun to grow plants from seed, if you want to increase the number of Phygelius you have quickly it is much quicker to pull off the offshoots/runners at the base. They spread like crazy, especially P capensis.

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 2:09PM
redthreaddiy(6a MI)

I tried looking for the seeds again today. I have Penstemon seeds so I tried to compare them to those, but still nothing. I'm keeping the pods and all of the crumbled ones in hopes that I will find them some day.

I would be more than happy to send ANYONE a few seed pods, if they are willing to take a close-up photo of what the seeds look like and hopefully describe them. Any takers?

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 3:08PM
poisondartfrog

redthreaddiy, there is the possibility that the seed pods leaked all or most of the seeds out of the pods before you got to them if the pods were brown...just a thought.
Alana

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™