Wild weather week.

desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)November 1, 2009

I am 5 miles from New Mexico and 50 miles from Old Mexico at 4500 ft in the Chiricahua Mtns. First 50+ mph winds, followed by an Alaskan freight train. I had a low of 24 that is unheard of in October. We donÂt usually get a freeze until late November, early December. Gone till next year S. leucantha, S. guaranitica, S. dorisiana. All the S. greggii had the buds burned, but after 3 days and 78 degree temps are blooming again. S. microphylla are on the fence not quite mush, but close. I do have some S. elegans in pots on a cart I rolled into the barn at night.

I am still getting 3 hummingbird species and about 20 birds coming to the feeders that I put in the barn also. Still getting Magnificent, AnnaÂs, and Black-chin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimcrick

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the vagaries of the weather, Desertsage. However, here is a tale to re-address the balance.

Up to about five or so years ago, I could guarantee a frost in mid-September to blacken off all my more tender salvias.

In more recent years the frosts have kept away until the latter part of October - adding much to the enjoyment of my later flowering salvias.

Last year was exceptional in that it was a heavy snowfall on 28th October that flattened my outdoor salvias.

Now this year is exceptional yet again in that I have not yet had anything to knock out the beauties. If only it would continue so in order that those plants which I grow outside solely for their wonderful foliage i.e.dorisiana, gravida and leucantha could flower in situ. Sadly, I think I ask too much - need a bit more global (i.e. Hertfordshire) warming for that.

Jim

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 12:44PM
voodoobrew

Today I was in shorts and a tank top. It IS November, correct?...

I'm not missing the weather in northern Germany, that's for sure. I don't believe i ever saw a salvia there... mostly rhododendrons.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 7:33PM
wardda

That puts you somewhere near Cave Creek on the east side of the mountains. What wonderful country.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 2:51PM
desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)

Back to 75-80 this week. Yes wardda, Sulphur Canyon and Portal Peak.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™