Red Yucca Seed Sprouted Inside Packet

manda3(8a DFW Texas)October 31, 2010

I collected some Red Yucca seed back in September and again in October. I opened up the September packet and found that half the seeds had sprouted and possibly died (I don't know). None sprouted in the October one. And I found another pod, opened it up, and they were already sprouted inside the pod.

My question is, can they still be viable? I'm thinking not. Also, is this a normal thing for these guys. This is my first year saving seeds. Thanks so much. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

I am just guessing here. It sounds like you did not let your seeds dry completely before storing them. For the ones that didn't sprout may be viable and you may be able to plant the ones now that have sprouted. Though like I said that is just taking a guess.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 6:16PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Many of the wild plants in the deserts of Southern Arizona had seed that sprouted almost immediately. I seem to recall that some of these were Yucca. It has been a long time since I lived there but the account in the OP doesn't strike me as strange.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 4:41PM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Now that you mention that albert, I remember during the summer I was shelling some black eyed peas. I simply rinsed them and left them in the strainer overnight to drain. You know the next morning several had actually germinated like that, lol. I was dumb founded, but it didn't stop me from cooking them, fresh black eyed peas are gooood.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 12:30PM
manda3(8a DFW Texas)

Thanks.

Heh. I can't really tell which ones sprouted and which ones didn't. I pulled off most of the brown strings before I realized what it meant. Anywho, hopefully I'll have enough Yucca for my new bed behind the garage this spring. Can't wait to see that line of red. :)

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™