Harvesting Asclepias (Milkweed) Seed

Adam(6a)October 2, 2013

This is the easiest way I've discovered to obtain seed from a milkweed pod so if you're wanting to join in the effort to help the monarchs, give this a try.

1. Wait until the pod is "ready" before harvesting it - I find this to be a subjective term but by most accounts, the pod will be mostly dried out and starting to split lengthwise down the middle.

2. Make sure you're outside or at least in an area where you won't mind cleaning up fuzz.

3. Grasp the round, fat end in one hand and with the other, break off about one inch of the narrower, pointed end.

3. Carefully start pulling out the fuzzy stuff while trying to keep all of the seeds inside of the pod. An occasional seed might come out attached to some fuzz but you can either let the wind determine its fate or simply disconnect the seed from it.

4. Once you've got close to all of the fuzz removed, carefully open up the pod and pour out the seeds; removing any remaining fuzz and discard the shell of the pod.

5. Store in a cool, dry place until you're ready to sow.

Good luck!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

I bought an asclepsia tuberosa plant last year & the flowers were beautiful! Now this year's seeds are splitting the pods & blowing away! I do catch some & dry the seeds in a baggie on the clothesline. How do I plant the seeds.. scatter them (as they are already doing themselves!) orplant them in the soil this fall or next spring? I want to probagate more of this flower!

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Vieja,
You can just sprinkle the seeds onto some loose soil in the garden. You would be more assured of getting seedlings if you try the Wintersowing method. Go to the Wintersowing forum here at GardenWeb, and read the FAQ. It is a wonderful, inexpensive way to start seeds.

Martha

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Sponsored Products
MaxLite MLVT22D4250 ArcMAX Volumetric LED Panel, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
BEAutility Semi Flush Mount
Lightology
Brentwood Ornate Casted Aged Brass Chandelier with Golden Teak Swarovski Strass
Bellacor
Spa Teak Wastebasket
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Lenox Tuscany Harvest Balloon Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Wobbly Petals Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
Stickbulb | 3 Foot Vertical Wall Sconce
$825.00 | YLighting
Ali Sandifer | Heiss Desk
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™