Questions about Salvias in the Sub tropics

barbcoleus(z10 Cape Coral,Fl)November 30, 2007

Hello Salvians!

I received some Salvia Lady in Red seeds a while ago, they sprouted and are now currently blooming in my garden. What's next? Are they annuals, perennials. I have them in dappled shade should they have more sun-I'm talking Florida sun. They've bloomed do I cut off the bloom stalk. I don't see any seeds. THanks for general information. I searched for salvia sub tropics but I didn't see any information in that area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dicot

Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red' is an annual that reseeds fairly easily and really only needs pruning of the stalks for asthetics. Dappled or full FL sun should be ok.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 7:21PM
youreit

You may find that this plant is a short-lived perennial in your zone. My mom is in zone 9, N. California, and her "mother" plant has lived over at least 2 years. It has reseeded abundantly all around it, too, since she's not very consistent when it comes to deadheading. :D It is on the west side of their house, under the shade of the wide porch overhang, so it gets very limited sun. Regardless, it wilts in their extremely hot summers, so she must water it at least once a day during those times, even with their heavy, red clay soil.

Brenda

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 8:10AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I think Salvia coccinea "Lady in Red" is a short lived perennial, like the regular species S. coccinea. It will probably live for a few years, and should bloom more or less continuously. You can remove the spent flower stalks, and should find lots of seeds inside the dried calyces. I would expect lots of volunteer seedlings to appear, and many of these will be pretty similar to the parent, but some will be more similar to the taller wild form of S. coccinea. This plant should do fine in full sun, part sun, or mostly shade. S. coccinea is pretty adaptable, usually doesn't have many problems (at least not in Louisiana, where I ahve grown it) and is well loved by hummingbirds that gather the nectar and goldfinches that eat the seeds.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Sponsored Products
Zenna Home Cabinets 20 in. x 30 in. Frameless Oval Swing Door Surface-Mount
Home Depot
Nelson | Ball Lamp with Stand
$325.00 | YLighting
Abetta Pathfinder Trail Saddle - 205175BK
$388.73 | Hayneedle
Tampa Bay Rays Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Nelson | Pear Wall Sconce
$445.00 | YLighting