Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?

beetelman(z6 pa)January 13, 2014

I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch trees with a shade/part sun loving ornamental grass that does not get too tall, and I have narrowed the choice to one of the Hakonechloa "All Gold" or "Aureola" and a Carex/Sedge grass like Carex oshimensis 'Everillo' or Carex 'Silver Scepter'. I don't have any experience with either of these perennial grasses, but I have read decent reviews for both.

The ground under the river birches is normal (not too dry or wet), and there is some afternoon sun that will hit the grasses through the limbs of the birches. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The carex will be evergreen, the hakone not. Either than that, both will work equally as well. Personally, I like color variations of the 'Aureola' and think it would enhance the bark coloring of the birches very nicely. Don't care much for the 'All Gold.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 5:24PM
coxy(6)

I'm CRAZY for All Gold!

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 6:12PM
NHBabs z4b-5a NH(4b-5aNH)

One thing to check out is speed of spread for the three plants. I don't grow either of the Carex you are interested in, but some Carex clumps or spreads slowly and some spreads fairly quickly. In my garden, Hakonechloa 'All Gold' makes a very slowly expanding clump so that it took probably 5 years to get from a one gallon pot to a two foot diameter clump. I like the bright gold to chartreuse range of colors it develops depending on the amount of sun it gets, and in my garden it is easy care.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 9:32PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

In my experience, birches have shallow root systems that I think would leave Hakonechloas very unhappy. I'd go for Geranium macrorhizom(sp?)--THE plant for dry shade. It's semi evergreen in my zone.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™