Just recieved some canna seeds

cmoejr(KY Zone 6)October 16, 2006

I ordered some seeds last week on-line from a company called Trade Winds Fruit. I just recieved these seeds today. When I ordered them I just ordered 1 of seven different types. No where on the site could I find how many seeds were in a pack. I took a chance figuring that I would recieve just one seed (2 at the most) of each, but what the heck. I was impressed when I got them. 1 pack had 8 seeds, 1 pack had 20 seeds and the other packs all had 10 seeds. Each pack that you order is only a $1.25 and $.25 postage for each pack. I think its a good deal.

Heres the link http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmoejr(KY Zone 6)

I nicked some of these seeds and then soaked them for 2 days. There were two of them that started sprouting little nubs on them. I now have them planted in little 3 inch pots under some lights. We'll just wait and see what they do.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 7:44AM
dkotchey(z5)

Hi cmoerjr,

I sowed canna seeds last year and had great luck. One of them did rot after I planted it into a 3 inch pot because I had watered it too much. Otherwise they did good. They were small this year but one did bloom. I think I should have started them earlier. So you were smart to do so.

Thanks for the website. I ordered dwarf cannas and asparagus fern seeds. :)

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 8:03AM
cmoejr(KY Zone 6)

dkotchey, I have never grown any canna from seed so when I ordered them I thought that I would try to get some going just to see how hard they were going to be. I soaked 2 of each type that I ordered that makes 14 seeds. All 14 germinated last week. Now I have 14 canna plants in 3" pots that I either have to try to keep until May, or put them to rest and start them around Feb. I still have plenty of seeds. I don't know how long they would live if I let them get root bound and try to keep them small!

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Seed Saving: Marguerite Daisy
I have a marguerite daisy that is beginning to set...
frugal_gardening
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Shelton Cylinder Pendant - 46646
Great Furniture Deal
Dandelion Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Greyfield Small Hanging Spindle Birdfeeder
Fifthroom.com
Walbrook Wall Outdoor Lantern
$529.00 | FRONTGATE
Rockford Outdoor Lighting Wall Lantern - Small
$149.00 | FRONTGATE