Alyssum

nemophila(z5 OH)October 10, 2005

Can anyone give me tips on saving seed from alyssum? I still have alot of it blooming, but I am stumped as to how to harvest seed from it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I have had better luck saving seed from the perennial alyssum, but the principle is the same. The seeds are teeny flat disks that line the stem where the flowers were. The disks ripen and fall out leaving the little round frames where they once sat. It's one seed per frame I think.

Does that make sense? The trick is trying to shake them off when they are ripe before they fall off. The good news is that the annuals seem to self sow nicely and I got repeat performers cropping up here and there near the spot they were originally planted.

This is a good question - perhaps I will stroll out there tomorrow night and see what's shakin. The other good news is that germination is quite high and they really winter sow well, so several dozen should get you a nice crop.

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 3:35AM
nemophila(z5 OH)

"The trick is trying to shake them off when they are ripe before they fall off."

I figured that was what was going on! It seems like the seeds (or what I had assumed was the seeds) are going from green to gone. I think I will figure out something to put beneath them to catch the seeds and see if that will help. I really appreciate the info!

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 1:09PM
averybird(Zone 5b, WA)

Great idea on the catch-basket! I will try that too, thanks.

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 11:21AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

If you look beneath a perennial alyssum, there are scads and scads of dropped seeds. When you touch them, they just drop like confetti.

I checked my alyssum this afternoon and it seems it's going to be a little more elusive to gather seeds from the annual. Looks like it's going to be a labor of love for you guys. Go for it.

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Sponsored Products
Butterfly Glamour Garden Kit
$14.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™