sand in my shade garden

grrchickJanuary 25, 2007

We just moved into a rental house and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about creating a garden from the neglected yard. Someone filled cracks against the entire foundation with pure sand. Though the sand is level with the rest of the yard..it comes away from the house 2-4ft, and is anywhere from 4-8" deep.

There is a long stretch about 20-25ft against the north facing front of the house that is completely bare of vegetation that I'd like to see filled in hopefully this season.

My two main questions are:

1. Is it possible to dig out a hole in the sand, fill that with quality soil/organic matter, dig out a smaller hole.. then plant something inside that hole..then cover with mulch?

2. Which full shade plants could I then plant in those holes that would spread far enough to fill the area in?

My first thought was to build a complete raised bed..thought that doesn't seem very cost effective. Theoretically, I'd like something that would get at least 3-4ft tall, and be reasonably interesting. A grove of elephant ears or bleeding hearts perhaps? This area also gets runoff from the roof, and seems to stay fairly damp so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: front yard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

You would be better off removing a couple of inches of the sand and work in some compost throughout the bed to the level you want. If you try to put in pockets of organic matter I think you will find it dries out awfully fast as the sand is going to draw the moisture out of the organic matter. It won't take alot of organic matter - sandy loam (which is what you will have once you amend it) is wonderful for gardening in.

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™