good plants for partial shade

texas_is_homeJanuary 1, 2010

i have a section in my garden that has a shade most of the day but gets a couple of hours of sunlight. i want some plants that can do good in that kind of lighting

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Texas has a variety of hardiness zones so what may work well in one location may not in another. Try Googling "Texas, plants for shade" to give you a selection of listings that might be appropriate. Otherwise, search for shade plants under your specific hardiness zone. There are just many, many plants that could work.

Other options are to post the same question on the Texas Gardening forum or visit your local library for texts on shade gardening. A couple I like are The Complete Shade Gardener by George Schenk, The Natural Shade Garden by Ken Druse and The Encyclopedia of Shade Perennials by W. George Schmidt.

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 11:43AM
esh_ga

It is also good to distinguish if those hours of sun are in the morning (very good) or in the afternoon (harsh sun). That can make a difference in what you choose.

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 6:20PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I have a shady garden under tall oaks in north central Texas. I have good success with my Turk's Cap, ferns, butterfly ginger, Texas Gold Columbine, caladiums and brugmansias with just am sun.

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 10:54AM
texas_is_home

i have always wanted to grow ferns. are they easy to care for or are they more for master gardeners?

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 3:22PM
PKponder TX(7b)

The ones I have tried are very easy. I grow autumn fern, Dryopteris erythrosora and lady fern, Athyrium felix-femina that I picked up at Lowes. I do water them well in our dry summer because the trees will take the moisture that they need from the soil, but I have found those two to be very carefree.

Pam

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 9:49AM
texas_is_home

I saw some ferns at walmart today and they come in a relatively small bowl. about a cup size. how big of a container do they need?

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 4:54PM
PKponder TX(7b)

What type of ferns? I would put them in the garden when it's past the last frost date for your area. Did you lift the plant from the container and see if it seems rootbound? If not, it might be fine to keep it in the container it's in for the next 4 to 6 weeks (depending on your hardiness zone).

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™