Moonvine

proudgm_03(6 MO)October 27, 2008

I have gazillion pods that are dark purple. What do they look like when they get ripe? We are in for some days of hard freezes and I'm afraid I won't get any seeds. These are planted on the porch post up under the porch eave.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladycraft(6b MO)

proudgm, I feel your pain. I was covering mine last night and telling my husband that all I wanted was enough seeds for next yr. I don't know what the pods look like when dried. The stem part of some of mine are beginning to turn kind of woody looking. I assume that is the pod beginning to dry. Kathy

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 7:51AM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

What color are the seeds? I just opened one of my frost bitten pods and the seed are white.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 5:30PM
gee_oh_nyc(6b/7a)

Yes the pods get woody and the seeds are white and hard. If they are big and white and the seed husk is still a little soft then they might be unripe.
These seeds can stand a little frost I think so you should be ok. Just make sure you leave them on until the pod dries out and gets a little "crunchy." The seed can also look golden or brownish if it has been weathered a bit.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 9:59PM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

I left the pods on the vine until they were dry and it frosted a couple of nights. The seeds are are hard but they range in color from cream to tan to dark brown. Are they all viable seeds? Thanks!

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™