Columbine Seeds, all black?

michiganaliceOctober 25, 2006

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if ALL Columbine varieties had black, shiny seeds?

I have a plant that looks like a Columbine, that is it's flowers and leaves. But.....the seeds aren't shiny and black like other Columbines.

The seeds on my plant come from a pod that also looks like a Columbine but the seeds are kind of brown/grey and dull, not shiny. They look like Larkspru or Delphinium seeds but the plant only gets to be about as tall as a Columbine.

Any ideas? And...thank you.

Alice, michiganalice

Here is a link that might be useful: If anyone wants to trade seeds......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I've collected seeds from 4-5 different Columbine species, and all of them had both shiny black seeds and a few dull gray seeds. I've been able to detect no difference in germination between the two. I'd guess 90% are shiny black.

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 3:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

All columbine seeds are black and look like little pouches sealed on one side, but not all of them are shiny, I've found. Some are rather matte. There are other plants that have leaves like columbines (some corydalises, for example, have similar leaves, and their seeds can range from shiny black - but are like little discuses - to pale-coloured, to reddish). I haven't quite figured out what they are yet that are growing in my pots, but I'm pretty sure they are weeds of some sort. Don't throw away those seeds yet, though. You never know...

Your seeds could be some variety of delphinium, though. Some are very short, and I believe they may have leaves like columbines. They are also related. Alternatively, maybe monkshood or something (generally tall, but there are shorter varieties too, and also related)?

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 7:30AM
More Discussions
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™