Salvia eizi-matudae

rich_dufresne(z7 NC)November 25, 2012

This is a fine new sage, related to S. curviflora, S. littae, and S. purpurea. It is found in Chiapas, and has a similar bloom period (late autumn and winter); the flowers ar a little over an inch long, but the spike is pretty tight. It should be a good hummer plant for the west coast, gulf coast and Florida.

I got a plant from Tony Avent, via cuttings taken in august. I had trouble germinating the seed, but Tony had better luck. Only one of the cuttings made it, and I think Tony's plant in his trial garden died from 100 degree stress.

The seed came from either Robin Middleton or Rolando Uria. I hope others had better luck, and that it will become available over the next year or so.

Anyway, this will be on my list for next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

A nice Salvia....but temperamental in the UK, will flower in a good summer, otherwise in Autumn. Not in my top ten here, but can be really good in a warmer climate.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:28PM
kermitc

This one grew well for us this season. Blooms quite late, which leaves it prone to the sometimes-fierce Winter weather here (like today with 45 MPH winds). My guess from the way it grows is that after being in the ground a full season it will be sturdy enough to stand up to the weather.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 3:48PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

And perhaps bloom earlier, once it is established.

Perhaps this has been a season where sages were really late to bloom this autumn not just in most of the USA.

I wonder if this pattern also was true on the West Coast and Europe.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 10:52AM
robinmi_gw

Definitely true in the UK.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™