Sick Salvias

wantonamara Z8 CenTexNovember 14, 2012

I have had salvias for decades and never had a problem with them but I think I have Chili Thrips in my Salia Augusta Duelberg, Salvia regla , Salvia chiquita. They are thrips and I think they might be chili thrips . I am unsure how they arrived here. I know that these bugs are causing all sorts of problems in Florida, Houston and San Antonio. These thrips will live on 40 different families of plants. They are not picky. Has anyone out there had any problems with them on their salvias or is there another type of thrips that like salvias?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kermitc

Thrips have never been a real problem for us. We've seen a few, but very little damage. Out-of-the-ordinary weather sometimes spawns unusual swings in populations, and odd weather has been the rule the last few years.

Good news is, there are now very effective fungal based insecticides that are targeted for thrips. Benign and effective. We have used similar formulations targeted at whitefly with great success.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:52PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

What are the names of these fungal based insecticides. Are they damaging to bees. So far I have heard that spinosiad "sp?" and seven are effective on Chili thrips. Seven is damaging to bees. They seem to be more resistant than other thrips or that is what I am hearing. My nursery experts still have not dealt with chili thrips and told me to spray insect soap on them. I think I heard the bugs thanking me for the peppermint shower.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:04AM
kermitc

Here is one we have used. No recommendation intended . . . insert legal language here.

http://naturalindustries.com/commercial/Docs/2012/noflylabel.pdf

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:34PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It says for greenhouse use only? I guess I can't use this one because my plants are outside. I will read up on it further. Thank you

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
Sponsored Products
Fish of the Sea Thermos
| Dot & Bo
Proviable Digestive Support Dog Dietary Care - 015NM-30ML
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Findley Urn Filler
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Cottonloft Colors All-natural Down Alternative Cotton Filled Comforter
Overstock.com
Flyte Ceiling Fan with Light by Minka Aire Fans
$519.95 | Lumens