Moonflower vine

ladycraft(6b MO)October 8, 2008

My vines were slow to start blooming but now I have a couple big seed pods. I'm afraid they will not ripen before the frost. Is there anything I can do to save them? I've got alot of buds and know they won't turn into pods. But I would like to save enough seeds to start for next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
This is a tropical plant that blooms so late so it is tough to get ripe seed from up north. I would keep a close eye on the pods to hopefully see changes, like dryness or color, indicating the seeds are about ripe. If you don't see any before frost is coming, you'll have to cover the plant for the night. Sometimes around here, we get an early frost, but then the temps stay relatively nice for awhile, so that could happen for you, and with covering the plant, you'll stretch out the time needed for ripe seeds.
Remy

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 9:13AM
znia

How long does it take them to ripen because I'm having the same fear even though I live in SC and might not get a frost till Nov or Dec.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 4:03PM
nikkineel(GA 8/7b)

My vine has had pods for about a month or so. Only a few have ripened. I have managed to get some seeds and hope my other pods will ripen before the frost. It takes a LONG time. If yours don't ripen in time, I should have some extra seed to share. Nikki

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 5:49PM
ladycraft(6b MO)

My seed pods seem like they have been there for well over a month too. I noticed last night that the stem had a little brown on it but not sure that they will be ready before the frost which looks like a good chance next week. I am going to try covering them. They are still loaded with blooms. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll be happy with a few for next year. Kathy

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 6:52AM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Are we talking about the one that has the big leaves? My pods have been purple for almost two months but none of them are changing color. What do the pods look like when they are ripe?

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™