recover after wilt?

siri3(South SF Bay)November 22, 2005

Hi,

My pineapple sage has been mistreated this past month and allowed to wilt a couple of times with emergency watering afterwarrd. Now we had a rainstorm after the last wilting situation and all the flowers got dashed off during the storm.

Do salvias recover well from wilting or should I get another plant? And once the flowers are spent do you deadhead or wait for new growth?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

There is something of 12 hour rule for recovery from the drying outof plants, at least in pots. If you rewater carefully within the first 12 hours, you will get relatively little damage, with damage mostly to the growing tips and some leaf drop. In the second 12 hours, you are likely to lose half of the plant. In the third 12 hours, you will likely either kill the plant or will have it survive after a long recovery, resprouting from near the base.

Don't cut back until you have seen where the recovery sprouting is originating. You can tell if a stem is dead if it has totally dried out a week after shock and is brittle, and if the cambium (the active layer under the bark) is no longer green, but has turned tan in color. Break off a short section of stem, and scrape off the bark with your fingernail or a pocket knife.

This advice varies a bit depending on the nature of your plant, the soil, and the health of the root system.

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™