Plants for Dry Shade in intense Colorado Sun

Istanbuljoy(Z 5 CO)February 21, 2005

My question is this: I have an under the deck shady area that we can walk upright in. It faces south and gets some pretty good sun-2 hours or more in the late morning on the edges (half the bed). The rest of the bed does not get anything, but what comes through the deck planks. This sun is high noon to mid afternoon. I was planning on shade plants (Hostas that take shade) for this area and some Astilbe (even though they are not low water use). Any other ideas? For the outside one half, I have selected Hosta X Paul's Glory (does best in Light Shade). Can I get by with plants that take more light just because of our intense sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Is your shade dry? Are you intending to water hostas and astilbe - or are you looking for dry shade plants, like epimedium?

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 6:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Istanbuljoy(Z 5 CO)

Brenda near Eno,

My shade area will have a drip system that I have yet to install. It is dry because we have 13" of annual rainfall and I will need to winter water. I was thinking more of the light and wilting the plants that said they required light shade since our sun is so intense. I will install a shut off valve in the drip so the xeri beds will not be watered as much as I will be watering the hostas.

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™