Love-Lies Bleeding seed -- I'll be darned!

alison(6b/OH)October 17, 2005

I really fell in love with Love-Lies-Bleeding, Amaranthus caudatus, this summer, growing it for the first time. I had pulled a few tails off and let them dry in the kitchen, then rubbed everything off the "tail". But I wasn't very encouraged. Sure, I had a whole plate of stuff, but everything looked like a light tan, empty half-hull. I couldn't believe I had missed the seeds! So I set them aside until last night.

While I was listening to a very disappointing hockey game I poured them out on a dinner plate, and standing over the sink I blew on them lightly, to get rid off the chaff. Amazing! A huge number of rosy brown, almost tranlucent seeds, and even smaller than I had expected.

If I'd know it was this easy I would have slipped a pack into every bundle I sent out!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

The seeds are pretty as well. I harvested Hot Biscuits and a tall magenta. I just beat the flowers in a bowl and then walk into the middle of the yard and blow. I don't even bring them in, I just beat the live plants. It's really that easy.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Are hollyhocks self pollinating?
Are hollyhocks self pollinating? I've a very tall,...
albert_135
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™