Ugh......so mad!

susanlynne48(OKC7a)December 3, 2009

Sorry, but I keep trying to search for salvia seeds on the internet, excluding divinorum which is the drug that some people use, so I do a boolean search "NOT divinorum" and all it brings up is divinorum. I assume it is because these annoying, annoying websites do not support boolean terminology. I am darned if I do and darned if I don't.

I want every other salvia seed listing in the world but NOT this particular species.

Any suggestions for those of you who do a lot of net surfing?

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Salvia divinorum sets seed very poorly. Don't worry about that plant. It and its extracts and other products are on the path of becoming Class 1 controlled plants and substances.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 10:32AM
robinmi_gw

How come you have not seen my seed list, around for 2 months....but now nearly sold out. No divinorum there! It is mentioned on www.robinsalvias.com with a link to email me at info@robinssalvias.com.
Hope to hear from you....but I am selling out of various species every day.

Robin.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 4:06PM
voodoobrew

Yes, do check out Robin's seed list. Has it been updated with what is left (I must resist, must resist... :) ?

I went to a hort sale recently, and the salvia propagator asked if I wanted to buy the divinorum. I asked if the flowers were pretty. Answer: no. So I was not interested! LOL

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 4:53PM
danita

Using Google, If you don't want a term to show in the results then you immediately precede it with a minus sign "-" with no space between the minus sign and the unwanted term. Such as: Salvia seed -divinorum

Hope that's of some help & Happy seed hunting!
Danita

P.S. Seedhunt sells many Salvia seeds.I haven't ordered personally but I bet a lot of people on this forum have and they also have a great score on Garden Watchdog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedhunt

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 5:28PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Thanks, you guys are great, once again I can't thank you enough.

Robin I will definitely check you out, as I will Seedhunt

Danita thanks for the search help. I got used to using Boolean and also term searching on Westlaw when I was a paralegal. Guess the net is beyond my grasp now since I have been away from that profession awhile now.

Susan

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 7:32PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Please, those of you who want to try winter sowing, do this only with alpine and other temperate sages. Tropicals will just rot off, with only a few exceptions.

Robin laboriously hand pollinates many of his seeds, so I'd germinate these precious seeds very conservatively. I've done some hand pollination myself, and I don't get many for all the trouble.

I'd rather use rock garden techniques at stratification myself. I think some of Norman Deno's publications are still available.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 11:14PM
robinmi_gw

Actually, I have only tried hand-pollination a few times, without success. I spend a lot of time collecting seeds from my garden, and have a useful contact in Argentina, who sends me many seeds of species which do not normally set seed in England.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
California Native Sage Festival--March 28, 2015
At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, Ca....
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™