cutleaf lilac shade bloom?

merryroseFebruary 1, 2010

I have a new (one year old) woodland garden, lots of dappled shade. Would love to grow a fragrant lilac. In Dirr's "Hardy Trees" he mentions syringa laciniata or cutleaf lilac as "bearing reasonable flowers in partial shade." Any of you have experience with this lilac? Availability? Roses bloomed here so-so last yr, mostly one low shrub rose, lilies great, nothing bloomed on baby's breath. Advice please. I miss this old timer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgia-rose

I have one that had to be moved several years ago, into a location where it could receive several hours of direct sunlight. The old location was in my side yard and it bloomed well, until a nearby tree became so large that it provided shade for most of the day, whereupon it stopped blooming and the entire shrub began to tilt toward the brightest light. If I had not moved it, I think it would have eventually become horizontal upon the ground. LOL!

A few years after it was moved and began blooming again, a daffy neighbor cut it to the ground. He insisted that he thought it was a Japanese privet and he was doing me a favor by cutting it down? It has since regrown and again blooms.

See if you can find a location near the woods edge, where it can receive about 6 hours of direct sunlight. You might try it in a dappled shade location, but I suspect flowers may be sparse.

Mine came from a local nursery, about 40 years ago, but I haven't seen them offered locally in the past 2-3 decades.
You will probably have to Google for an online source. Be sure to check any vendor's reputation at GardenWatchDog before ordering. You will need to Google for that URL also, as posting it here is not permitted.

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™