overwintering onions

jeaninmt(3a)October 28, 2012

Hello,

This may sound crazy, but I am slightly crazy and it keeps me busy. An onion plant that has been growing for years in our greenhouse finally had its seed spread by our son. I thought it was a green onion plant. Then this Fall while I was pulling out chickweed, there was a bunch of small bulbs. The bulbs are maybe 2" across at the biggest and thumbnail size at the smallest.

I would really like to be able to overwinter these and plant them next year in the hopes of getting seed. I planted 4 of the biggest ones in the garlic patch. Now I am thinking about some of the smaller ones. It seems like they will dry up and wither away, being tiny. Do you think they would winter over better if I planted them in gallon pots and kept them in the crawl space over the winter ? It is about 45 degrees. Or replant a few in the greenhouse, which drops to 0 - 10 degrees over the winter.

The outside patch is mulched with 4-6" of straw. Outside temps drop to -15 -20.

Thanks for any ideas, Jean in Mt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Creek-side(5)

Jean, I can't answer your questions, but I do have one of my own on this topic. Last year I missed picking a few onions in the fall, and they lived through what was an admittedly extremely mild winter here in Iowa. I was surprised at this. Are you telling me that in a normal Montana winter you overwinter onions?

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 6:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeaninmt(3a)

These particular onions were in our solar greenhouse, it is about zone 5 or so. There have been other onions that sprouted and grew in the garden in the Spring. I think that it depends on getting a snow cover of 6" or so before the hard freezes hit. In those cases the ground never freezes and we get all sorts of volunteers in the Spring.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
MN seed saving class at prepper expo
http://www.survivalpreppersexpo.com/classes/gardening/ I...
little_minnie
Seed Saving: Marguerite Daisy
I have a marguerite daisy that is beginning to set...
frugal_gardening
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
Sponsored Products
Verner Panton - Onion
| Italy Design
New Castle Outdoor Pendant by Hinkley Lighting
$209.00 | Lumens
Onion Blossom Maker
$5.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Onion Lantern Collection Textured Black 3-li
Home Depot
Onion Pendant
Design Within Reach
T-Fal Anodized 12-piece Cookware Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™