Question about saving Okra seeds

WonderWeaselNovember 10, 2012

Hello--

I grew a few 'Jing Orange' Okra plants this year, and decided to let a few pods mature to save seeds from. Unfortunately, the pods matured, but didn't begin to really dry out until after our first frost. I was wondering if the pods are thick enough to protect the seeds from the frost. Thanks for your help!

--Jordan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Jordan,
They can be. If light frosts don't turn a plant to black goo, seed often keep ripening in the pods. The pod shell acts like a blanket.
Remy

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:39AM
WonderWeasel

Thanks for the follow-up, Remy! I cut them off last night. Lucky I did, because it's supposed to get down to 22 here tonight!

Anyway, the seeds were (for the most part) all mature, and looked fine. The seeds in a couple of the smaller pods were still white. I'm going to try germinating a few when they finish drying.

Thanks again!

--Jordan

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:05AM
reyna1(Zone 8)

Good luck Jordan.
If you have any extra that youd like to trade, I have Louisiana Green Velvet, Clemson spineless#80, Red Burgundy, or My Joanie. Or an SASBE.
Danny

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:25PM
charlieboring

Here is a slightly different take on saving okra seeds. I had a neighbor in San Antonio who planted giant sunflowers near his okra and saved the okra seeds for planting the next year. I believe that due to the cross polination with the sunflowers, the okra grew about 15 feet tall. Anyone seen anything similar?

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:11AM
wally_1936(8b)

CharlieBoring I have grown okra that it was normal for them to get that tall, the Louisiana long-hook or long-horn. I do not believe the sunflower had anything to do with the height.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™