Question about saving Okra seeds

WonderWeaselNovember 10, 2012

Hello--

I grew a few 'Jing Orange' Okra plants this year, and decided to let a few pods mature to save seeds from. Unfortunately, the pods matured, but didn't begin to really dry out until after our first frost. I was wondering if the pods are thick enough to protect the seeds from the frost. Thanks for your help!

--Jordan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Jordan,
They can be. If light frosts don't turn a plant to black goo, seed often keep ripening in the pods. The pod shell acts like a blanket.
Remy

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:39AM
WonderWeasel

Thanks for the follow-up, Remy! I cut them off last night. Lucky I did, because it's supposed to get down to 22 here tonight!

Anyway, the seeds were (for the most part) all mature, and looked fine. The seeds in a couple of the smaller pods were still white. I'm going to try germinating a few when they finish drying.

Thanks again!

--Jordan

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:05AM
reyna1(Zone 8)

Good luck Jordan.
If you have any extra that youd like to trade, I have Louisiana Green Velvet, Clemson spineless#80, Red Burgundy, or My Joanie. Or an SASBE.
Danny

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:25PM
charlieboring

Here is a slightly different take on saving okra seeds. I had a neighbor in San Antonio who planted giant sunflowers near his okra and saved the okra seeds for planting the next year. I believe that due to the cross polination with the sunflowers, the okra grew about 15 feet tall. Anyone seen anything similar?

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:11AM
wally_1936(8b)

CharlieBoring I have grown okra that it was normal for them to get that tall, the Louisiana long-hook or long-horn. I do not believe the sunflower had anything to do with the height.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™