Saving and preparing vegetable seeds

pat45November 3, 2008

I have collected nastursium, pole bean and butternut squash seeds for planting next year.

Please tell me where I can find the proper way of drying, freezing to kill "bugs" and storing the seeds over the winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Pat,
Your Nasturtium and Squash only need to be left to dry and then put in a paper envelope to store in a dark cool dry place.
The beans can be frozen to kill any weevils after they have been dried. Drying just involves leaving them spread out on a paper plate or a regular plate with paper towels for at least a week after harvest. I usually leave them for a couple to be sure. To see if they are dry enough for freezing, take a few outside and smash them with a hammer on concrete or other hard surface. If they shatter, they are dry enough. If they smush, they need to dry longer.
Once dry enough, put them in your freezer for a week. If you put in an air tight container, let the container come to room temp before opening. If you open too soon, you can kill the seed. You can keep the bean seed in the freezer for long term storage just remember to wait every time before opening the container. I prefer to just keep in a dark cool dry place to make it easier.
Hope this helps,
Remy

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™