Seed (pod) identification

dirtgently(5a)November 12, 2010

Does anyone have a favourite site for identifying seed pods they've seen or collected?

So far, I've found this site at Ohio State and this site in the UK.

Reason I'm asking is I recently collected a couple of interesting-looking seed pods, but I have no idea what the plant is. I'd like to germinate them, but without knowing what they are I'm not sure what to do with them.

Or, going out on a limb, would anyone like to take a stab at identifying them?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Dirt,
Those are the 2 best sites to use. If you haven't figured it out from them, I suggest posting here, on the Name That Plant Forum, and/or the Winter Sowing forum.
Remy

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 7:31PM
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

I use the one!

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds id

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 9:01PM
dirtgently(5a)

After some head scratching and site browsing, I haven't really been able to figure out what exactly I have from those sites, so I've attached some pictures of them below. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 11:03AM
bitterwort

It's definitely a mallow of some kind, perhaps a zebrina or French hollyhock (search for Malva sylvestris) or a lavatera (not sure there is a common name). Did you grow either of those or recall seeing them where you collected the seed? Definitely a mallow.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 9:40PM
gardenweed_z6a

I second the mallow. I harvested lots of seeds from mine that look like the photo above as well as the pods having that lacy look to them. I didn't plant the one that grows here--it's been here since I moved in 5 years ago. I decided it was a perennial rather than a weed when it came up in the same spot year after year.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 4:57PM
dirtgently(5a)

Thanks both of you. I collected it from a bushy plant in an empty lot in a residential area. It would make sense that it's a hollyhock as they seem to be popular in that neighbourhood if I remember correctly. Into the metaphorical ground they go! We'll see what comes up.

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™