My unknown

cait1December 2, 2005

Purchased as S hians though it's not - the lower lip is a true purple compared to the reddish purple tube. (The pic doesn't show the color variation unfortunately.) But the underside (or external side) of the lower lip is white (second pic). The leaves are somewhat hastate, grass green above and silvery beneath. Can this be S przewalskii? Whatever it is, I really like it, especially the blue-tipped stamen.

(click on pics to enlarge image)

Cait

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

The Salvia hians I grew once, from seed obtained from P. Kohli & Sons in Srinagar, India, had the color of that in your images, and was two-toned, with a bluish-purple tube and a purer shade of blue for the lower lip. The flower was quite large, big enough to admit a bumblebee, about 1.2 cm wide and 2.5 cm long.

S. przewalskii is a lot smaller, and very variable. It does better for me in subtropical North Carolina.

Lots of salvia flowers show the feature of the exterior backside of the lips being a different color, usually with less pigment. The part of the flower hiding inside of the calyx usually lacks pigment as well, but not always.

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Cait,

That's an awesome salvia, if you get spare seeds I'd be first in line to trade. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Joseph

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™