Pollination of Morning Glory

Robin282(z7 SE MA Coast)November 14, 2005

Hello to All,

Can anyone tell me about Morning Glory Pollination? DO they cross easily? I know beans, for example, generally pollinate before the flower fully opens, so they can be planted fairly closely without too much concern about crossing. I have some really great Morning Glories I would like to plant next year and save the seed from. How far apart must I put them to keep them true? Do certain ones cross, and others not? With squashes, melons will cross with each other, but not with pumkins, so there are divisions there. Do Morning Glories have this? I noticed the ones I planted this year had different leaf shapes, and wondered if maybe they were different enough not to cross.

I appreciate any advice in this area.

Thank you!

Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracey_nj6(6)

I don't know much about MG's, but seed that others had sent me did not come out close to what they were supposed to be. Could've just been a fluke, but I'm learning to plant them separately, as best I can ;) Try asking over on the Vine forum; there are alot of MG experts over there.

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 11:13AM
michiganalice

Hi,

From what I've read....MG's do cross polinate easily. I read in one of my garden books that different varieties should be planted about an acre away from eachother (ok? in what world?).

I planted mine in corners of my yard to try to avoid cross polination (our lot is 1 acre). We'll see if my varieties remain true.

I recently traded with you, not any MG's though. Take Care and hope this helps.

Alice "michiganalice"

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 9:44PM
baci(z10Ca)

They cross. MG seeds are viable a long time. You are better off planting only one variety or isolating them by flower time. The only other option is hand pollination, which is not easy and a pain in the neck. The site below will not directly answer your question but it is a nice resource on JMGÂs.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/38.html

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Are hollyhocks self pollinating?
Are hollyhocks self pollinating? I've a very tall,...
albert_135
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™