HELP Oklahoma Gardner!!

debogardensMarch 18, 2011

I have an extremely shady backyard, so I've pretty much turned it into a rock garden with raised flower beds. The only thing that has been able to grow back there is Aucuba and monkey grass. The backyard is on the north side of the house. We have a TON of trees back there. I wasn't sure if the trees were taking all the nutrients from the raised beds and thats why they are dying, or maybe I'm choosing the wrong plants.

And, One more question. I wanted to buy a few rosemary bushes for the sunny front yard. Is there certain type of Rosemary that can withstand the Oklahoma winters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I would not think that the trees were taking all the nutrients. It obviously is very shady and you just need to choose some appropriate shade loving plants (like the Aucuba). Generally the north side of a house is very shady. Have you looked into ferns, epimediums and things like impatiens (for color)? Variegated plants in general help even when they are not flowering - varigated solomon's seal is very popular in my area and a handsome plant.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
Taller shrubs for a mostly shady area
Hi there! I live in Durham, NC and have an area in...
crabbygardener
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™