need ideas for this spot-pic

KellyFG(6)March 14, 2006

the previous owner of our home cut down all of the trees on the property but this dogwood & one scrub brush. So this is our only truly shaded area. Last year we tried to get grass to grow but it didn't happen & now I'm thinking I'd prefer to plant sade loving plants in this area rather than grass. I feed birds & have several feeders, baths & houses in this corner & would like to make it lush & pretty as we often sit on our deck & watch the birds in this area. I would like suggestions on shade loving plants that might be attractive to birds & butterflies as well.

Here's a pic of the area last spring-excuse the plywood-new fence is in. The area under the hammock is wood chips, just under the dogwood is the area I'm concerned with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kal2769(Zone 8)

Mahonias will make berries for the birds to eat. They bloom yellow this time of year and the berries come in the fall i think. they will grow in shade. Also hollies and aucuba will be evergeen, shade tolerant, and produce berries for the birds. any of these would be good as the background. good luck!
---Keith

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 8:27PM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Columbine attracts hummingbirds, masterwort (Astrantia) is popular with insects, maybe butterflies too, Lobelia cardinalis, a number of lilies if the shade isn't too thick, Pulmonaria and Bergenia for early season blooms beloved by hummingbirds...

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 10:24PM
esh_ga

While this seems shady, how much sun does it get? Even 6 hours of morning, early afternoon sun will allow you to plant some more sun loving plants than you might think. It is worth watching the area over the course of a day to calculate the # hours of sun.

Mahonias seed around a bit too much and pop up in unwanted places, I would not recommend them. However, birds do love sources of cover, so medium sized junipers would be nice (and they eat the berries). Hollies are another source of cover and berries. Depending on whether your neighbors have hollies (or you have others), you may need more than one as they are male and female plants. Another favorite shrub for birds is Spicebush (lindera benzoin), but you need male and female plants of those too.

If you expand the area beyond the dogwood, planting a serviceberry (amelanchier species) would be very popular. The birds love those berries. It is a small tree.

Until the plants get a little more mature, you may need to be content with providing cover and water and a supplemental source of food (a bird feeder).

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
North East facing bed in 8a
I have read back through the history some and am finding...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
Sponsored Products
Rectangular Personalized Rock Enclosure
Grandin Road
Natural Rope Collection 15" Wide Aged Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Hinkley Lighting Path & Landscape Light Parts Corrective Blue for MR16 Spot
$79.00 | Home Depot
Gray Finger Paint Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: Westinghouse Layfayette 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor Weathered Iro
Home Depot
Justice Design Group GLA-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$420.00 | Hayneedle
Dakar 1 Matte Nickel One-Light Directional Spotlight
$26.00 | Bellacor
Silhouette Pink Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Oval Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™