Growing Japanese Maples in shady conditions

crabbygardenerMarch 9, 2014

I am wondering if Japanese maples would grow well under a not-too-dense stand of loblolly pines. I read this somewhere but want to verify. I would love to get one or two as an accent in the shady part of my yard, but I want to make sure that they'll actually grow well. My neighbors have one--their leaf color is beautiful!
(To clarify, these plants would get a little bit of direct sun but would primarily be shaded by the pines.)
Also, any particular varieties that I should choose, or other things to keep in mind?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Here in coastal Calif. (and Oakland area 200 miles north) they do well in partial shade. I have been told the lacier the leaf is, the definate need for shade.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 10:48PM
shadeyplace(7)

I have three in partial shade and all do well.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 10:53AM
kennym_2010

You might want to post on Maples forum or Japanese gardens forum for suggestions of JMs for shady conditions. Quit alot of discussion of JMs there. I'm no expert but I do know there are soooo many cultivars that need shady areas, I can't list them all. They also very so greatly in size, texture, color and form. Google "Japanese Maples for shade" you will find tons of informatio also.
Cheers

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 12:00AM
kennym_2010

You might want to post on Maples forum or Japanese gardens forum for suggestions of JMs for shady conditions. Quit alot of discussion of JMs there. I'm no expert but I do know there are soooo many cultivars that need shady areas, I can't list them all. They also very so greatly in size, texture, color and form. Google "Japanese Maples for shade" you will find tons of informatio also.
Cheers

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 12:01AM
gardengal48

Good advice above :-) But as a Maples forum regular, let me say this - the warmer the climate, the more shade a JM can tolerate. Red leaved varieties may lose color ("green out") in much shade but the very light colored leaves (gold, chartreuse, yellow-green) and those with very narrow, linearlobum-type foliage do best in at least some shade. And any variegated forms must have protection from afternoon sun at the very least.

The only other concern with planting close to the pines is maintaining adequate soil moisture. Larger growing conifers tend to suck moisture out of the soil and JM's are not happy in dry conditions. You may need to attend to water needs in this location.

btw irisgal, red laceleaf maples are particularly sun tolerant, even in Sacramento!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:04PM
crabbygardener

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™